This pair of farm worker’s cottages was built in 1760 in the beautiful Cotswolds village of Taynton. Up-graded during the Victorian period, the previous owner who was actually born there and lived her entire 86 years in a building, had hardly changed a thing during her life. The project entailed stripping back most of the internal fabric to bare walls and roof frame, integrating the two units into one, (planning permission was required to remove one of two staircases), and carefully restoring the interior, to strict conservation requirements of its listed building status.
Two bathrooms were introduced and new oak floors laid, whilst using much of the original oak floor to line walls and provide purpose made fixtures and fittings to complement the existing. In March 2014 planning permission was granted by West Oxfordshire District Council to construct a new extension which will effectively double the ground floor area. This will provide a new kitchen / living area and increase the number of bedrooms from two to four.
£220,000 (first phase)